Sunday, July 12, 2015
Seven quotes against God
As the only blogger, indeed as the only writer, and furthermore as the only theologian currently working in protest against god I cannot help my growing sense that I am in at the ground floor. As catastrophic climate change reaps death through the world and resurgent religious fundamentalism plays out its bloody hand I think the idea that this is all sort of god's fault is going to catch on big time. But so far it's just me. I have a monopoly on nothing. But what a good time to get in cheap! Buy low and sell high they say. So I thought I'd better start making my mark on all this valueless real estate so that eventually, when everyone wants a piece of it, they'll find my initials are all over it already.
In that spirit I am going to set down some precepts here in clerkmanifesto. I am thus serving notice of ownership on the following concepts and quips:
1. It's not blasphemy if it's accurate.
2. What is commonly understood as taking God's name in vain is mere redundancy.
3. "Free Will" is a theological concept meaning "Whoops!".
4. There is a god, but no devil, the position already being taken.
5. God is a democracy with only one candidate and no option to abstain.
6. God has a wise, secret plan, but forgot it.
7. We all work for God, but no one is paid.