Thursday, October 19, 2017
Ten surprises from my trip to Paris
I am back from Paris. And though I work a little too hard in life to never be surprised it is a futile endeavor. This is especially true in journeys to foreign lands. So Paris repeatedly opened my eyes, and I have brought back ten impressions of Paris that all caught me a bit off guard.
1. Paris is in black and white. Except for the parks.
2. Parisians are nice. This includes waiters.
3. The Mona Lisa is a brilliant and lovely painting.
4. French food is not a cuisine, it's food, really, really, really good food.
5. The French language is fun and easy as long as you don't look at it.
6. There are more bookstores in Paris than, well, anywhere I have ever been in my life.
7. Unfortunately these books all appear to be in French.
8. Paris Disneyland actually is Paris Disneyland as opposed to A Disneyland in Paris.
9. Long security and customs lines are possibly a reasonable response to acts of terrorism and yet by day five I would far rather we died in an act of terrorism than had to stand in another line for an hour.
10. The Mall of America and The Champs-Elysees have a lot in common. A lot. Perhaps regrettably The Mall of America is better.